Thursday, January 1, 2009

HAPPY NEW YEAR !!!

Here we are in a new year. This is perhaps the best holiday of the year, it's the one filled with promises and hope that somehow, this time, things will be better. And honestly, what is the meaning of life without hope.

A few years ago I participated in some workshop at the Rensaelaerville Institute and we were asked to think about our purpose in life. As a kid I really believed in my mission in life being fully connected to the meaning of my name, which is "helper of humankind". That's a heavy moniker, leading one to think of all sorts of self-sacrifice (ok, in my case, maybe not), but it can have an earth bound meaning too. So I help people, well I am a teacher, so I guess I did live up to that name after all! But back to the workshop and our purpose.

Guess I learned that day that my purpose in life was to bring hope to others. Although I often shroud myself in humor and glib discussion, I take that charge rather seriously. I tend to find the bright side of situations, am a bit of a polly-anna, and try to bring a solution to every problem. I work with a tough crowd, but most of them make it through. I'm happy to have found the niche as a special ed. teacher.

This year of course, is the year of the Obama inaugeration! It's so exciting to have someone new in office who will offer a fresh perspective and....HOPE! You can bet that's one piece of TV I'll have my DVR set for! I feel like it's 1992 all over again and we are getting to start over!

So a fresh year, fresh chances for all! Always exciting to move forward; to have fresh hopes, and hopefully live to see them through!

Happiness, hopefulness, and Health in 2009 !

1 comment:

Dana said...

Here here......a toast to hope, fun, and eternal optimism.