Sunday, May 3, 2009

Pictures Taken May 3, 2009

These are little violets who grow whether you want them to or not...I love free-bees..speaking of:

This is the first year that the lilac has bloomed. This is my 5th summer here. She's never been more than a shrub, but last year I began to think she had some lilac characteristics. Sure enough, this year she has a few flowers!!! Very pretty. She planted herself on the back bank. It's hard to plant there for me since there are so many tree roots, but lilac figured it all out. That's why this is the Darwin Garden. Plants need to work it for themselves.



Side of the shed. This is one of the most groomed places. I have white rock pea gravel there and need to buy more. Planted from the left are delphiniums, lupine, columbine. Dandelions are bonus!


This is one of two mandevillas. They will die in November....but I will love them until....




A fleeting moment in time...so much like the magnolia. But pretty all the same!

Below is the fern peony. It's heirloom. I got it from my aunt Daisy. Aunt Daisy and Uncle John gave some to my dad who gave some to me. I pass it on to my friends and remind them that they are rare and hard to come by. The bulb is $ 40 from specialty catalogs. And yes, she is, like the magnolia, just a fleeting beauty.



Last weekend's project. Transplanted this sedum and mulched. One week later it still looks good.

Give her time. This is the pink fairy rose I have on the front bank.


Just here to share.....went with a pink petunia for this year's show front hanging basket.


And finally: the bird bath in the Japanese Garden:





No comments: