Saturday, April 16, 2011

I've been watching Hockey playoffs!



They're fun! It's tough competition going through each bracket level. That makes for more plays and more excitement. And NO! I don't watch it for the fights.

I think my interest in hockey is due to enjoying sports that actually feature players moving (as opposed to baseball where for most of the time you stand around and wait until it's your turn). In hockey, it's always your turn. In fact one player on the Detroit Redwings scored today when the puck inadvertently hit his stick as he was lifting it, and the puck sailed into the goal.

That Detroit versus Phoenix game was embarrassing. I felt really badly for Phoenix who was trailing 3-0 in the 2nd period. then I tuned it off and went to do other stuff (important stuff like write on this blog) and I guess Phoenix came back to not be mortified, but still Detroit won, which I wanted.

It almost seems wrong that a city that is already getting temps in the high 90's in April would support a hockey team. I'm sure most of the players are Canadians, or northerners, but still!

In North America, hockey belongs to Canada and to the north where temps are so cold and winter so long people had to make the best of the situation. Strangely, only 6 of the NHL's 30 teams are based in a Canadian city! Seems wrong somehow doesn't it! And that's the other big reason I love hockey. It's Canadian, and ever since Anne of Green Gables came into my life in 1982 I have carried a love for that country just north of me!!!!

I suppose if I were to really rally for a team I'd pick the Sabres. They're NY, they're from the rust belt, they border Canada. Here in Albany it seems the most games that are shown in the regular season are the NY Rangers. I like them too, but I don't think they will do too well in the play-offs this year.

Hope I have neither shocked nor bored my "readers" to tears with all this hockey talk! ;)

No comments: