Saturday, January 26, 2013

Time Keeping

Clocks, watches, church bells, calendars, sundials, hourglasses, stopwatches, and metronomes all help us keep track of time. What is one interesting or unusual timekeeping device that you use or that you happen to see during your regular routine?

This prompt comes from tenthousandquestions.

Love this one!  I don't wear a watch.  I think I stopped wearing one around 2004.  I was taking one of those classes that teachers can take about loving the teaching life, minimizing stress, finding your zen or whatnot from these two really cool guys.  Cool guy one was a married teacher and cool guy two was his BFF who just happened to look a lot like Keanu Reeves and who could also do yoga.  Both men never wore a watch and yet could tell within minutes what time it was.  The whole class was fascinated and wanted to know how this was accomplished.  Their answer:  simply stop stop wearing a watch and your body starts to naturally know the time.

Of course I had to try this!

It works wonderfully and is one of those silly things that amuses people.  I am usually within 20 minutes or less.  Often, within one or two minutes.  I've even noticed that after crossing a time zone I will come into the rhythm of the new location, however, when we change the clocks I will be that hour off!

If I'm using the timer in class, I can usually tell the seconds as they are decreasing.  But I do use electronics to tell me the time.  Cell phones are more than happy to oblige as are cars and computers.  I would never try to wake without an alarm although I know with training I probably could.  I had a friend way back in high school tell me to repeat the time I wanted to wake and then my subconscious would make it happen.  Hmmm, I've done it some, but I need practice.

And now I have this really cool Philips Wake-Up-Light.  The light gradually comes on just like the sun would and then birds sing.  Ahhh, just like in spring and summer.


No comments: