I am busy trying to write up a publically conscience post for our fantastic cards group trip to North Carolina. While I'm working on it, I made up this book post for Facebook. So I thought I'd re-post it here:
Fifteen Favs:
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
What's not to love about Atticus Finch, a man who does what is right even when it goes against everyone else.
The Giver by Lois Lowry
Utopian societies have always facinated me. I'm also a sucker for characters who have that extra special something.
Blue Bloods by Melissa De La Cruz
I had to include a Vampire book. This is part of a series that is actually not so much about Gossip Girl type vampires, but more about angels and demons and the apcalypse.
The Bean Trees by Barbara Kingslover
So moving....the story of finding family even when they're not your blood. Beautiful!
Esperanza Rising by Pam Munoz Ryan
For adolescents, but with a message of hope that is just amazing. I recommend it all the time. Unfortunately, like the Giver, teachers use this book when the kids are way to young to grasp the layers of the themes.
Nightlife by Rob Thurman
Found by serendipity just this year. Love the narrative by Cal, the half human half monster main character who is loved and cared for by his brother Niko. Love the whole series as they make their way through a life less ordinary and try to do the right thing.
The name of the wind by Pat Rothfuss
Hard to describe, this story of a magician (of sorts) is epic (and long, but u want it not to end)! Someday the author will finish the sequel..we can hope.
The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley
Another book so epic and moving it is hard to describe. Arthur's tale told from the point of view of Morgain his sister and the native people who lost their religion and way of life to the Christians. It's epic...sorry, you just have to experience it for yourself (or at least watch the movie)!
The Beginning Place by Ursula LeGuin
This book sticks to me over time. A simple man travels to a magical place. It's a story of self discovery.
Years of Rice and Salt by Kim Robinson
Found by serendipity through a search online for alternative history. What if Europeans were not the colonizers of the world? Would things be different? Better or worse?
Northern Light by Jennifer Donnelly
Magical book about self discovery and coming of age in the Adirondacks about 100 years ago. It's a universal story for all females that asks questions of identity that transcend time.
Parable of the Sower by Octavia Butler
Futuristic crumbling society and a girl who's an empath. I need to revisit Ms. Butler's works...she has several and they are always intriguing.
Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood
Again, a futuristic world that is totally dysfunctional. Themes of morality, family, and the individual are throughout. I think I remember it ending hopeful. The movie does not do it justice and you shouldn't watch it as a replacement.
Hearts in Atlantis by Stephen King
Not spooky, this is a coming of age story. A different kind of King. The movie does not do it justice and you shouldn't watch it as a replacement.
The Green Mile by Stephen King
If you've seen the movie that's okay. They did a fine job of getting the essence of it down. Things are never what they seem and life sometimes isn't fair. Monsters are sometimes the pretty faces and the good guys are never thanked. When this was released it was serialized. I remember waiting each month for the next installment. Great read.
Does Supernatural the TV show count? Because if it were a book of that quality…it’d be on my list!
The fight against evil is never simple. How do ordinary men come to terms with their place in the cosmic fight between heaven and hell?
Holy Crap! Nearly all my favs are by woman! Odd, given that my taste in books is distinctly not feminine !!! [Can you say post apocalyptic, alternative universes]? Funny thing is that two guys in the list have androgynous names! (Kim and Pat) and the other is Stephen King.
No comments:
Post a Comment