With the event of the internet, we can connect with people from aol over. We can choose to bear our souls, connect, complain, get free advice etc....
But what did people do over 30 years ago?
Maybe, they randomly connected via phone. One thing that happened when I was a kid comes back to remind me frequently when I am online and specifically on blogs. One night, a teenaged girl called my house. My mom picked up and the girl started talking about her life, her concerns and her troubles. Over the course of months or maybe more, she would call from time to time and they'd chat. A girl from my town, yet a complete stranger. I remember my mom adding her name and number to our call list that hung above the phone.
I always tell my mom she carries the weight of the world on her shoulders.
We may FB and use blogs all the time, but there are still people out there that will bear their souls to my mother. Who use her as a springboard to their inner feelings and worries. She's a listener and very good at it. Even for me, it's always been easy to be honest and forward with her. I can see how she inspires it in other people.
I wonder about random telephone girl. She'd be about 50 now! Wonder if she blogs! Wonder if she's become a good listener. We never really know how we inspire.
No comments:
Post a Comment