The pilgrimage to Vancouver is over, the photos are sorted,
and now its time for the story.
I’ve wanted to go to Vancouver since about 2009. That was one year into my love affair with
the TV show Supernatural, which is the story of two brothers who travel America
and fight evil. Except, Supernatural is
filmed in Vancouver and various areas around the city double as the United
States.
The Winter Olympics in 2010 sealed it for me. British Columbia was gorgeous and I needed to
see it for myself. So finally I got it
all together and decided to go. When I
mentioned this to my cards women, Barb perked up and said she’d love to join
me. And so she did.
We flew into Seattle using Southwest airlines, which is one
of the best experiences I’ve had since they have a laid back attitude and a
great sense of humor which makes the flying experience enjoyable. Everything was on time and we got our car
rental from Enterprise. As always, there
was a free upgrade and we got the Toyota Camry.
Two & a half hours later we’d had an easy border crossing at the
Peace Arch and we were making our way through the very flat and farmed Delta.
Then we met traffic.
There is a lot of traffic in the Vancouver Metro area, and we would
experience it a few times that week. As
I was driving Marine Way we got slowed as the lanes narrowed near the
intersection with Byrne. In an act of
serendipity I realized where we were stopped…at the corner where the “Watchmen”
set is! It was one of the places I had
wanted to see. An industrial area that
just happens to casually house a movie set.
Barbara took some shots, which I currently do not have. But suffice it to say, I was squeeing with
delight.
 |
| Watchmen set, actually just a frontal facade. |
We got to our hotel in Burnaby. It was the Holiday Inn Express and it was
great! I highly recommend it. Clean, quiet, convenient. It was on the Skytrain, attached to a mega
mall that rivaled the Mall of America (this mall, Metrotown, is the second largest
in Canada, the only larger one is in Edmonton, and that’s the largest in the
world)!!!! The hotel was convenient to
the highways also and the parking was free.
There was a heated pool on the roof and free hot breakfast daily. Plus, they gave us mall coupons that included
$10 gift cards and a bus/train pass. We
got them twice! We used them on caramel apples and wine…important stuff!
 |
| Holiday Inn Express had a heated pool! |
 |
| View from the third floor across the street to the SkyTrain. |
We worked hard on this vacation, putting in 8 hours a
day. On Tuesday we left the hotel early
and took the train to the city. We walked along the Coal Harbour Seawalk. We
went on a Harbour Cruise at Burrard Inlet.
Then we had lunch at
Cardero's. I
had sea scallops and Barbara had a salmon burger. I washed mine down with a British Columbia
hard cider. The whole trip I tried to
find local things to enjoy.
We returned to Burnaby and mailed out our Tim Horton’s
coffee. Oops! Postage in Canada is really expensive. After spending $24 to mail a $8 coffee we
could only laugh at our innocence. What
the heck. After that we drove to Fort
Langley, which was #1 on my pilgrimage list of sites to see.
 |
| Raindrop Sculpture...how fitting! |
 |
| Barbara at Canada Place which was cleaned up nicely for the Olympics in 2010. |
 |
| Everyone in Vancouver wears black and dark colours, I fit in! |
 |
| Coal Harbour |
 |
| The boat we took for the inlet tour. |
Fort Langley is cute, but pretty much everything closes at 5
PM. We took a bunch of pictures and
walked around. One of my goals was to eat
gelato and drink Tim Horton’s. In Ft.
Langley we got the gelato, a nice pear flavor!!!!!
Our day complete, we returned to the hotel to relax and
recharge for the next day. We walked A
LOT! Miles!!!!!!
Random pictures with captions below:
 |
| Burrard Inlet View of Canada Place |
 |
| One of many many seaplanes! |
 |
| Canada Place |
 |
| Floating Gas Station |
 |
| Quite literally a House Boat |
 |
| Think I know what this is? |
 |
| Lacy Hydrangea |
 |
| Pub at Fort Langley used in Supernatural |
 |
| Church used in "99 Problems" episode |
 |
| At the place where Dean told Sam the big secret |
 |
| Mavis Ave. used in "Croatoan" |
 |
| Ft. Langley, there was a large group of women preparing to go rowing on the river. I was jealous. Looked like fun! |
 |
| Another view of the park. |
No comments:
Post a Comment