I'm scanning photos today from 1979. that was a pivitol year for me as I ascended in my mind to that of a preteen! That was the year that my cousins Tracy and Charlene came to visit from Texas and all we did for three weeks was hang out, just kids, never seemed to be any adults around. It was a coming of age time for me. A time when the kids figured out how to spend our time, deal with our problems and get along.
The pictures aren't the best, but I think they capture the joy of the freedom and the possibilities of being a young kid.
 |
| On the top: Jennifer Rose, next row: Tracy Wilson and Sandi Washburn, Bottom: ? Mileski, Shawn Smith, Charlene Wilson, and Laurie Rose |
 |
| Charlene, Grandpa Wilson, and Tracy. This was grandpa's awesome pool that he hand dug in 1969. |
 |
| This was the group, it seemed that every day we had this large group together having fun! |
 |
| Chalene and Tracy on the bikes. Shawn is driving Tracy. He's 10; she's 9! |
 |
| Me in the pool! I loved water, but couldn't swim. |
 |
| Dana Slaughter and Tracy! Dana was nearly two years younger! |
 |
| Popular sundresses! Charlene is 13 here. |
 |
| Tracy cuddles with Pea! |
 |
Tracy in a sun dress. This is what the girls wore when we picked them up at the airport in Syracuse. I still remember being able to go up to the gate where they came through!
1979 was a time when we played and grew without helicopter parents. It was a great time. It wasn't that it was a simpler time, it was that it was a less paranoid time. It was a time when adults recognized that children reached adulthood by taking risks, and learning from mistakes.
I really enjoyed the memories these photos brought to me!
|
3 comments:
So nice you have a picture of Chuck's pool! I'll never forget it and how I'd roll down that hill near it & always was nervous I'd end up rolling into the pool, haha!
I loved rolling down the hill! He had such a fun yard to play in, with that pretty creek out back too.
I loved rolling down the hill! He had such a fun yard to play in, with that pretty creek out back too.
Post a Comment