I wish I could write here how I gave up cable TV all together, but I didn't. This month Time Warner rewarded me after four years of commitment with an increase in my monthly bill from $115 to $ 150. All without offering anything extra. After many choice words on my part I decided could live without cable and they could ...well you know.
So I called today and opted to keep the internet (because there really isn't any other choice) and the barest basic available so I would not need to buy an antenna. The guy on the phone said it would be $11 monthly, that I could deal with. Imagine my excitement today when I realized I still had standard cable channels! I had decided to bravely accept that I'd be letting go of the Syfy channel and thus not able to see "Lost Girl". One little show is not worth the cost of cable. However, I still have Syfy!
So I am quite pleased with the results.
Since I no longer had the DVR I wanted a TiVo. I looked around and read all the reviews. I was thinking I'd have to spend $150 at Best Buy, but then I was on a frugal blog and saw the link to the TiVo site. They had their most recent DVR on a clearance sale for only $59.99. Score! I love a good sale! So that will be on its way and I will have a new $15 monthly bill for the TiVo service. Putting it all together, I still will pay $75 monthly rather than $150. I'm saving nearly $1000 a year!
It pays to check out those frugal living blogs!
1 comment:
Hey it's Courtney....In summer 2011 they raised ours to $180 and then overcharged us. I called to cancel and w/in two days I had an outsourcing group calling me offering me internet/cable/phone for $99 w/free hbo/showtime and no fees for our dvr box! I took the offer but it's up this summer. I only want internet and want to get Hulu for tv shows but Brent insists he cant live w/out cable, he can pay for it then, lol. Time Warner are the biggest rip off artists around! Dont blame you for canceling!
Post a Comment