Probably my favorite sequence of picture is my romance with the tree peony. She promises so much during her spring pre-bloom. She delivers, but her beauty is fleeting. The tree peony's blooms are easily knocked down by wind and rain, both which came at the end of the month to take her away. I think these were taken around May 15.
My other friend in the garden is the peach tree. I consider her an adolescent who is not actually ready to carry the load of fruit she creates. You can see in the picture her "strappings". Those straps are all taunt at this stage and the peaches are the size of black plums.
This year will be a big fruit year I think. In addition to peachy I recently planted a gooseberry bush taken from my mom's yard. She was in blossom in May when I planted her and has fruit on her already!!! I bought anti-bird nets and put them over the gooseberry and the blueberry bush. In fact, look at that blueberry!!!!! I have 4 plants and one has grown enormous. It's been a long struggle to get the blueberries to want to be here, but finally, I think something is working! YES!
My veggies this year consist of 18 tomato plants that mom helped me put in on May 16. I decided to do many because last year I realized it was easy to can and get a safe seal in the glass jar. (I made jam). I love salsa and so I plan to can some up. May was hot and our last frost was in April at some point, but during Memorial Day weekend there was a scare as the temperature went to about 4 degrees Celsius! Weird and oh so NY. But we did not frost and the tomatoes are growing. In fact, the cherry tomatoes have little ones already!
You can see that the lilac was in bloom at that time (it's in the back ground). When it got cold I protected the hydrageas. They are starting to really expand. Just wait until the before and after picture!
More to come soon!
No comments:
Post a Comment