Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Ten Local Things to See (for not too much money)

The Ten

So what will I do with my ten weeks of summer?  I want to spend it well and feel rested yet accomplished.  Free time is a double edged sword for me.  I love that time all to me, yet I can flounder in the freedom.  Before I know it, a week has passed and what have I accomplished?  Me, being a lover of lists, thought why not make up some things to do?  And I think a little of this has to do with my staycation mentality and reality this year.  Because every summer I travel one place big:

2012       Vancouver, BC
2011       Chicago, IL
2010       Dallas, TX
2009       Charlotte, NC & Mervi came to visit (and we went to Niagara Falls and spent two days in NYC)
2008       Cape Cod, MA
2007       Brussels, Belgium
2006       San Francisco, CA
2005       Wells, ME
2004       West Palm Beach, FL
2003       Turku, Finland

Going back ten summers was an exercise in WOW!  Seriously, how lucky to have seen so many fantastic places!!!  I know that prior to 2003 there were about 5 weeklong stays in Maine, a trip to Virginia Beach, and a trip to Cancun, Mexico.  I do love to travel.
So to ease my need to “do”  I made a list of ten local things to do that shockingly….I have NEVER done!

1.            Hyde Park (Roosevelt home)  http://www.nps.gov/hofr/index.htm
2.            West Point (that area of the Hudson to see scenic stuff)
3.            Cherry Hill (Albany)
4.            Ten Broeck House (Albany)
5.            Albany Planetarium (ok, I’ve done this one, but I want to go again)
6.            Olana   http://www.olana.org/visit_seasons.php
7.            Howe’s Caverns (yep, have never  been there)!
8.            Iroquois Indian Museum  http://www.iroquoismuseum.org/
9.            Wander Troy’s downtown area
10.          Go back to Mount Washburn over in Columbia county (near Lake Tagahanic)


It’ll be interesting to come back in two months and see if I succeeded at finding the local scene!

No comments: