Friday, August 1, 2008

Home of the Brave

Let me start by saying: you definately should read this book!


Home of the Brave by Katherine Applegate is about eleven year old from the Sudan who has resettled in Minnesota with his auntand older cousin Ganwar. They live in the city in a high rise and feel far away from the rural life they always knew. The author creates a lighter atmosphere by describing the language barriers and cultural differences that would have made Kek’s transition difficult if he were not so optimistic. Hard memories of family lost come through on occasion like when Kek and his class visit the zoo.

He states: ...”but I am not alone. My family is with me, and every sight is something they cannot see, and every hope is something they can not feel. To carry them, unseen as wind, is a heavy burden.”

His thoughts are complexfor his age, and he carries the guilt of a survivor, still, he is ever optimistic. His optimism and love of cattle lead him to a job on the outskirtsof the city. It is there that he becomes closer to his cousin, but also where he learns nothing lasts forever and there is always change.

The author does an excellent job of weaving his grief with his hope and in the end Kek’s ability to: “find the sun when the sky is dark” makes this a story of triumph.


Five stars! Middle School and up!

2 comments:

Dana said...

I need to read that!

Sounds a little like "A Girl of the Limberlost", that I just read. Loss, downtrodden, yet she is able to be resilient.

I also read" Wednesday Letters" Good book. Not blockbuster, but good.

moi aussi said...

I like books about resilent spunky kids. I also like precocious child characters, i have no time for drama queens and emo boys! HA!

Are you into the Twilight series? :) Just finished book #4. LOVED IT!