Tuesday, February 21, 2012

And here I thought we were all naturally mean


It can seem at times like people are naturally cruel, just watch the news and see what humans are capable of doing to one another. But, according to this linked article, it may not be so true.


The article basically state that humans, at out animal level, maintain a level of moral composure in order to interact peacefully enough to mate and procreate. Of course this is compared to primates and other animals. The article also states that science shows it's most likely to happen within a social sub group; so it is more challenging to be peaceful in a globally engaged world.

I don't know. As I was writing this, my older cat attacked the younger one so he could have the chair. He does this via physical intimidation and also by humiliating the smaller cat. The older cat has damaged the younger's self-esteem over the years to the point that the little guy acts like an abused feline. Now, I don't know how that applies to humans, but let me say I think it can and does.

I don't know why humans are cruel, but I do know that I have a lot of personal moments where I think mean things about people. I don't want to and it's not me at my best, but I think we all do it. I think it takes more effort to be kind than mean.

But I also think it is an ideal worth inspiring to, because when we send out love and bring joy to others it spreads. Being happy for others, giving to others, and finding the best becomes a habit.

No comments: