Thursday, August 11, 2011

Bat Removal Horror



NOT OUR BAT, but they all look like mice with Satan wings!

Frankly, having a bat in the house is right up there with things I DO NOT WANT! And it will continue to rate up there, forever. That said, Christine had a bat at her house, and WTH...you gotta do something about it, right? If not yourself then an expensive professional. Last night, Peter and I bravely entered Christine's dark house, and guided by my Maglite searched for the little bugger. Sure enough it surfaced, well flew right at me! Yuck! I ducked, but I also tried to put the bat net up to get it. Thankfully Christine had bought the bat net at the dollar store! Peter took over the net at that point and I was glad because he had great aim. After a really frustrating time of hide and seek he brought the bat down. I tried really hard to scopp it into the shoe box I had(without touching it at all), but the little sucker got away. We were getting frustrated because those things fly fast. Finally! Finally, we got it down and this time were smarted about getting it into the box. We used a towel to nudge it into the box without touching it (hidesight: wear thick gloves, you never know)and then I taped the lide down so that not a tiny bit of area would be open for the little guy to escape.

But I felt bad, really bad and apologized to him. He didn't ask to be born an animal that nobody likes, and animal that is really useful but that scares the bejesus out of everyone! Poor little guy. I also felt bad because I was going to be responsible for killing him by suffocation. A long time ago I was at a sunday school picnic and a bunch of kids found a frog and were trying to stone it to death. I never valued the lives of animals when I was a child, never thought about it until that day. When the leader, Miss Goodyear saw what was going on she gave us a lecture I have never forgotten, that you never senselessly kill an animal. I think she woke in me that day an understanding that all living things are connected. I do hope that little bat is reborn as something loveable like a kitten or a puppy!

So moral of the tale is that capturing a bat is difficult and you need to be cautious! Working with a partner is also a neccessity! Today I took bat to the NYS Lab where they will test it for rabies (just in case). I hope Christine is done with bats! Please! :)

No comments: