Thursday, August 11, 2011

The last of the Chicago pictures!



Day Three was Monday. I got up early and got my Dunkin Donuts iced coffee and sat in the park. Then I walked over the BP bridge which spans Columbus Ave. It was early morning rush hour and so I finally got to see what real Chicago denizens looked like! Here are two shots of the Hotel Burnham's interior. Ornate and amazing, but alas, it was the last day of the trip and time to check out.





I checked out of my hotel and went to the Art Institute. It does have a complicated and somewhat frustrating floor plan. You have to go down one flight of stairs, but then walk over to another flight to go back up to the same level but a different section. Weird. Well, I got my stairmaster workout there. I saw almost all of the famous stuff you are suppose to see like Hopper, El Greco, and the famous “American Gothic”. Then I found the “Fates Gathering the Stars”. I’ve always liked that piece and had no idea it was at the Institute. I also liked the “Young Spartan Girls Challenging Boys.” I like the subject matter of the taunt, especially when you realize Spartans took their athleticism to an extreme. What Degas was trying to say with this work (BTW, there is a similar version in the National Gallery in London) don’t ask me. I’m no expert on Art History, that’s for sure. I just know what I like and why I like it.

So after my Institute trip I headed back to the orange line and the airport. Again, no difficulties there, smooth lines, no delays. I was home at 8:15! Great trip!!! Don’t have any idea when I’ll be doing something like this again, but I hope to.

Following are just lots of pictures I took on Monday:






















No comments: