Guess what? I never did. Seems computer usage wasn't absolute in the early 1990's and my little Brother word processor was adequate to get me through graduate school (1993-1996). I'm pretty sure that we did not have any version of the internet in 1991. Never really thought about it until 1997 or so when I first saw it on my sister-in-law's TV. What was it? WebTV. An interface that allowed users to explore the internet on their TV's. Seemed cool! It appeared around the same time at work, suddenly seeming like the most practical thing ever, but with a screen with a million things on it at once!
So by the time my work place had computers they were rocking to Gateway running early Windows systems. So what happened to the Mac?
Frankly, if you asked me this question in 2001 I would have speculated : "Did they go out of business?" They just simply weren't there at that time. There wasn't a presence that allows you to remember that they are out there. What was there was in 2000 was this great deal that People PC offered for dial up system and a HP desktop. So in 2000 I got the HP computer and went online. Been there happily ever since. On the internet, not the dial up! LOL!
So what happened to Mac? Slowly I became cognizant that they had not disappeared at all, but had grown and chnged over time. By the aughts the Apple company had expanded to include laptops and this new fantastic gadget called the iPod.
The iPod finally caught my attention and let me know that the company that created the Macintosh computer that I so adored in my junior and senior year of college still was in existance and was florishing. Oh the iPod! What a concept, every song you own in one tiny little device! I bought my first in 2006; my second in 2010.
But to buy a Macintosh? 20 years later, the question resurfaces because my current desktop (my second, an HP Pavilion purchased in 2005 and running windows XP) is slowing down and my laptop, an rather deficient example of the horror that was Windows Vista: A compaq purchased in 2006, is totally spazzing out!!! I want to replace both, but am trying to decide which is more important to me and which I will be most likely to be using in 5 years. So many questions.
What does it all mean? The Mac is over priced without ever guarenteeing that it won't spazz out. The Mac will not allow me to use HDMI with my TV (a number one priority of the new laptop I want to buy), and I just don't know how compatible it will be overall.
:( Sorry Mac! You were once the golden child (I remember the Mac labs of the schools I once substituted at....so shiny), but now you have lots of pretty competition.
Yes, I love my iPods, but they work just great with my PC. So Mac, unless I win the lottery and find a buring urge to purchase your over priced system, I guess it'll be me and the PC's.
pss.....ended up buying a Toshiba Satellite laptop with plenty of bells and whistles. 3 months in and i love it!
No comments:
Post a Comment