Tuesday, August 2, 2011

First: Let's take a look at this...

So, I try to be frugal, well, sometimes. This was just sitting at the curb waiting for the trash.




So I tried to wrestle it into my trunk. No luck, not happening in a Honda Civic. Plan B. The desk was simply up the street from me, so what to do? Use the wheel barrow! Sure it looked like a Third World moving company, but it did get the job done. After a throrough cleaning it was time for paint and decorating.



Now you may ask, "why did she go through all that for a child's desk?" Answer: Let me tell you what's up.


If you know me, you know I don't have any children, but I like kids. Well, it's kinda a given since I am a teacher (well maybe more an assumption than a given). I set this year's intention to pursue acquiring a child to care for. In February, I went for an informational meeting about becoming a foster parent. One week later and I was enrolled in the class. The class met for 10 weeks and on June 23, 2011 I was officially certified to be a foster parent!



I was hoping all things would fall into place immediately, but so far they have not. I asked for a girl about 3-6 years old. I thought that would be easy, but apparently lots of babies come into care, not so much for 3-6 year olds. I have been offered a baby, in fact, the day after I finished painting this desk, but I don't want a baby. I like children a whole lot better. I do better with older kids. Plus, the entire room, and everything I've done is for a small child.




So here I wait, no longer thinking about it, just letting the will of things flow. Right things happen at right times. My original intention/plan was for 2012, so I do wonder if it will happen later than sooner? I don't know. I do know that this uncertianty is difficult for me as a planner and someone who thinks with her head and not her heart. Deciding to be a foster parent and patiently waiting, these all belong to the heart. They have required me to leave my comfort zone, but know what? That's always a good thing. Staying comfortable and safe never moves you forward. And I do not want to be stagnant.




























No comments: