Thursday, August 4, 2011

Chicago Trip Day One

I’ve always wanted to just buy an airline ticket, fly off to some city, and spend the weekend. Guess what? I did it! I just got back Monday from Chicago. While it is a little strange to travel by yourself, I had such a fun time that I would most certainly do this type of random travel again.

Everything about the trip was pure serendipity. I was able to get a flight direct from Albany to Chicago that left early in the morning. When I got to security, there was no line and no hassle! Then, not only was the flight on time, we had no wait for departure and arrived 15 minutes early. Finding the orange L train line was easy and it took off only a minute after I got on. I exited at State and Lake, and this is what I saw:



Later, I would take this picture from my hotel room! So when I exited the train I was only 2 blocks from my hotel. I just didn’t realize it at the time because it was too early to check in. Instead I headed north towards the river. I got some good exercise following the river walk and then over the bridge towards Michigan Ave. I circled around the NBC building and happened upon Marilyn. Mom had told me to look for her, but I hadn’t actually searched for the statue, it just found me. This statue just got erected in mid-July 2011. I made my way back toward the river and my Architecture River Cruise.





The cruise was a good way to see the city and hear its history in buildings. Chicago is famous for its architecture and designers like Frank Lloyd Wright and Daniel Burnham. It’s also birthplace of the skyscraper. So we cruised into view of the Willis Tower (Sears Tower) and some interesting buildings. We also went past what had been the Montgomery Ward distribution center. All I could think was: “This will be Amazon.com in a hundred years.” Our docent did a fantastic job of keeping the story flowing for 90 minutes. If you geek for architecture, take the tour. At the end of the tour the docent mentioned a free concert at Millennium Park that evening. I kept that in mind as I made my way to my hotel.






I stayed at the Hotel Burnham! Best choice I could have made. It’s within an historic building known as the Reliance Building that was designed by Daniel Burnham and erected in 1895. The rooms are clean, well cared for, recently refinished. The staff was good and the hotel was quiet at all times. They actually allow pets! But I never heard a noise, nor was there any odor. This hotel is in the best location. I can’t recommend it enough. I was 2 blocks from Michigan Ave. (the main area in the Loop) and 2 blocks from the train. Several buses ran down State Street (that’s the corner street for the hotel), and then the two parks, Millennium and Grant, were 2 blocks away and maybe 5 blocks was the Art Institute. It was too easy!



I checked in early, got myself reenergized and headed out to Navy Pier. Navy Pier is a tourist stop, but who cares, I was a tourist. There’s a lot to eat and some amusement park level stuff. It made me think of Old Orchard Beach in Maine. There’s a great view of Lake Michigan there, a Stained Glass Museum (it’s free) and a big fat Ferris Wheel. Did you know the first Ferris Wheel debuted in 1893 in Chicago at the Columbian Expedition? The one I went on was only half its height! Still, good view. I capped off my little trip to Navy Pier with a Chicago Hot Dog. Beef dog, on a poppy seed roll, cover with chopped tomatoes and onions, a pickle and mild hot peppers! No condiments, at least no ketchup (I’m not a ketchup fan anyways). It was DELICIOUS!!!!











I finished off Day One with a trip to Millennium Park for the free concert. It was the music of Jean Sibelius, the Finnish composer. It was so stirring to hear the chorus singing the epic sounding Kullervo in Finnish! It’s a long song that went on for over an hour as the sun set, but the city is just as vibrant at night.










2 comments:

Laurie said...

Hey, did you ever read the book Devil in the White City? It goes back and forth between the 1893 World's Fair and serial killer HH Holmes. It's non-fiction written in novel style, a good read.

moi aussi said...

I've heard of it, but didn't know if it was a good story. Thanks for the recommendation.